Pages

NuffNang

Saturday, October 17, 2009

What About

Three months ago, I started an online shop -- to sell thrifted and vintage items I find around the city. More than five years ago, when I was in college, because I didn't have money and went to a university that didn't have a uniform, I started "thrifting." I started shopping in the ukay-ukay (which means digging-digging in Cebuano) to look for what I thought were cool items.

Most of the clothes I thrifted back then were mostly generic -- tee-shirts, camisoles, shorts or skirts that I could not afford to buy if sold in the malls or boutiques. I was never the trendy, the fashion-forward, nor the person with a good sense of style. I was a copycat. I thought I'd look cool if I wear clothes like what the "sosyal" people in campus were wearing. I know I was wrong but I didn't have any concrete style icon at that time.

Then, I happened to grab a copy of a Lucky magazine. And since then, their magazines, and their two published style books, have been my fashion bible.

Finding personal style is a lot of hardwork, frustrations and disappointments. But there are also successes and I have never been happier when I've perfected a look that truly fits me and my personality. I may already be in that stage that I am comfortable with my style and knows what works for me and what doesn't. But I am also still in that stage where I still want to experiment and try out new-found looks (high-waist shorts, for example!).

I started this blog to document my thrifting adventures. I always refer to those days I go thrifting as adventures because I don't know what I will find. Some days, all I find are treasures, some days thrash.

No comments:

Post a Comment